We use nosetests to run the unit/integration tests for Siafoo. Because the tests take around 45 minutes to run, in full, we rely on a patched version of Bitten integrated with our Trac to automatically run the unit tests after every commit. Sometimes we have to run individual tests (or sets of tests) by hand.
To run individual test we use a command similar to to this:
nosetests -v -w ./siafoo/tests --with-pylons=test.ini test_bfield:Test.test_flux_capacitor_coefficients
And for a set of tests (i.e. all tests inside the module test_bfield), something like this:
nosetests -v -w ./siafoo/tests --with-pylons=test.ini test_bfield
For a while I have been unable to run the tests manually, the system simply could not find anything:
Ran 0 tests in 0.003s
Today, by shear accident, I discovered the problem. Permissions. It seems that in order for nosetests to find your unit test modules their permission must be set to 664.
I have no idea why it requires these permissions but it does (644 or 444 may also work I didn't try).
If they are executable (like 755) nosetests won't be able to find them.