For the past week I have been completely unable to use eclipse due to a horrible horrible nasty nasty hard crash, when I tried to open a project. The crash looked like:
[stou@cipher tools]$ ./eclipse/eclipse *** glibc detected *** /usr/bin/java: free(): invalid pointer: 0x000000000145cdb0 *** ======= Backtrace: ========= /lib64/libc.so.6[0x32ec279714] /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-184.108.40.206.x86_64/jre/lib/amd64/server/libjvm.so(+0x42e658)[0x7f4f3de77658] /home/stou/tools/eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/197/1/.cp/libswt-pi-gtk- 3655.so(Java_org_eclipse_swt_internal_gtk_OS__1g_1data_1input_1stream_1read_1line+0xe7)[0x7f4f30a80b52] [0x7f4f39ec9ca8] ======= Memory map: ======== 00400000-00408000 r-xp 00000000 08:03 13107694 /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-220.127.116.11.x86_64/jre/bin/java 00608000-00609000 rw-p 00008000 08:03 13107694 /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-18.104.22.168.x86_64/jre/bin/java 00f6d000-0645b000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0 [heap] d8000000-db7d0000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0 db7d0000-e8000000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0 e8000000-e9ab0000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0 e9ab0000-f8000000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0 f8000000-100000000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0 32c9800000-32c9804000 r-xp 00000000 08:03 3145814 /lib64/libuuid.so.1.3.0 <a few pages of similar crap>
I was too busy with grading and other school related activities to try to get to the bottom of this crash... until today. After a 5 minute internet search I found the cause and solution to this problem. It turns out that something in KDE sets MALLOC_CHECK_=3 which catches some bug in eclipse... which somehow crashes the whole JVM. Anyway doing an unset MALLOC_CHECK_ fixed the issue.
Someone, probably an Apple/Microsoft fan boy, said... "open source is only free if your time is"...